[  Home  ]   [  Profile  ]   [  About  ]   [  Challenges  ]   [  Lists  ]   

Sunday, September 6, 2009

"...no more books, no more teacher's dirty l..." wait, no more books?!

My mouth dropped open. I sputtered, unable to speak coherently. And I read Penny's post while I was at work - in a library (you know, that thing with "outdated technology...")

What I'm ranting about (and what Penny ranted about) is the Boston Globe article concerning a New England private school that got rid of it's books. Yes, you heard me right - they got rid of their traditional library of over 20,000 books and replaced it with an e-library.

Oh, the "outdated technology" comment was made by the school's headmaster and chief architect of the whole "get rid of books" plan. His entire comment went something like this: "When I look at books, I see an outdated technology, like scrolls before books... This isn’t ‘Fahrenheit 451’... We’re not discouraging students from reading. We see this as a natural way to shape emerging trends and optimize technology."

So, in otherwords, the school is spending $500,000 to replaced "outdated technology" (sorry, I just can't get over that one) to replace their collection with 3 large flat-screen TVs, laptop-friendly study carrels, a coffee shop ($50,000) which will include a $12,000 cappuccino machine (uh huh, coffee for teenagers - which is, you know, essential to study with), and 18 electronic readers made by Amazon.com and Sony.

What happens if there's a major blackout? What about eye and wrist strain? What happens if the "technology" is improved/altered (such as the "famous" kindle)?

No comments:

Post a Comment