[  Home  ]   [  Profile  ]   [  About  ]   [  Challenges  ]   [  Lists  ]   

Monday, August 24, 2009

Challenges, Challenges...

This is a catalogue of all the challenges I've decided to participate in, listed in order from the earliest end date (Dec. 2009) to the latest (Sep. 2010), with a perpetual challenge at the very bottom. Brief particulars are given (title, running dates, one-sentence description, host(s), and aim(s)), with links to the host's site, the challenge post, and to my progress page.

Nothing like diving in feet first... ;-)

Centuries Reading Challenge - running throughout 2009, the challenge is to read books from different centuries.
Hosted by: Becky of Becky's Book Reviews
The aim:4 to 6, crossovers allowed
My progress: can be found here... I think I'm going to try for books written during various centuries (as opposed to modern books written in various centuries), if that makes any sense...

Science-Book Challenge 2009 - running the entire year, the challenge is to read works (related to science, scientists, how science opperates, etc.) upon the theme of "nature's wonders"; they can include popular non-fiction, histories, biographies, anthologies, etc.
Hosted by: Scienticity, from the people at Ars Hermeneutica
The aim: 3
My progress: can be found here... I think a browse through the 500 aisle at work is calling me!
What an Animal II - running from July 1, 2009 to February 28, 2010, the challenge is to read fiction/non-fiction books where animals are involved (in the title, on the cover, as a character, etc.).
Hosted by:Kristi at Passion For the Page
The aim: 6, crossovers allowed
My progress: can be found here... what really surprised me (and got me interested!) about this challenge was that the list of "acceptable" animals could be real or fictional (such as a dragon, mermaid, centaur, vampire, werewolf...)

Arthurian Challenge - running from April 2009 to March 2010, the challenge is to read books starring characters found in or inspired by Arthurian legends (i.e. King Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot, Merlin, Lady of the Lake, etc.)
Hosted by: Becky at Becky's Book Reviews
The aim: 1-3 books (with the possibility of expansion...)
My progress: can be found here... this is my chance to read about (Thomas Malory's "Le Morte d'Arthur" will be a definite and maybe T. H. White's "Once and future king") a period in folklore/history (depending on where you are in the spectrum of belief) that I've never really had an interest in...
Much Ado About Shakespeare Challenge - running from September 1, 2009 - April 26, 2010 (Shakespeare's birthday), the challenge is to read any of Shakespeare's works, any book inspired by a Shakespeare play, or watch any movie from or inspired by a Shakespeare play.
Hosted by: Andrea, over at The Little Bookworm
The aim: 6
My progress: can be found here... I wonder if graphic novel adaptions count?
Pre-Printing Press Challenge - running from May 1, 2009 to April 30, 2010, the challenge is to read books that pre-date the printing press (pre-1440).
Hosted by: Elena, over at All Booked Up
The aim: 1-3 (I'm aiming low ;-) , crossovers allowed
My progress: can be found here... I'd like to read the Epic of Gilgamesh (Sumerian), as well as Homer's Illiad/Odyssey and the Welsh Mabinogion (okay, maybe I'll be aiming for 4-6 books instead... ;-) Sci-Fi Reading Challenge - running from August 28, 2009 to August 8, 2010, the challenge is to expand your horizons into science fiction.
Hosted by: Mish, over at Stage and Canvas
The aim: hmmm, I think I'll go with 8 (even though I'm one of those people that tend to stay clear of sci-fi...)
My progress: can be found here... an H. G. Wells is definitely on the list, as is "The iron dragon's daughter" (which I've wanted to read for awhile, but have never really gotten around to), and Neil Gaiman's "The graveyard book", but other than that...
China Challenge - running from September 1, 2009 to September 1, 2010, with 4 various levels (w/funky names!) to choose from, this challenge is an opportunity to learn about a "forbidden" country...
Hosted by: Jennie, found at Biblio File
The aim: 5, which must include 1 translated work and 1 non-fiction
My progress: can be found here... which, at the moment, only includes possible titles (I have yet to make a decision)
PB & J Challenge - perpetual (challengee's choice), the challenge is to read more children's books, including picture, beginner's (early readers) and J (chapter) books.
Hosted by: Becky from Becky's Book Reviews
The aim: hmmm... I'm not quite sure what my personal goal is yet (host suggestions: 12 picture books a month, 12 picture books and 4 J books in 3 months, etc.)
My progress: can be found here... since I currently do Preschool Storytime at work, I read a lot of picture books - here's my excuse to actually record and comment on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment